- Kellogg's Better Days Home
- About Us
- About Us
Fueling healthier lifestyles
The World Health Organization defines health as a “a state of complete physical, mental and social wellbeing and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity.” It’s clear that healthy lifestyles require a balance of smart choices involving positive dietary patterns, a reduction in sedentary behavior and promoting emotional and societal wellbeing.
At Kellogg, we know that one of the most impactful actions we can take is to encourage people toward better lifestyle habits. We’re passionate about the role our foods and brands can play in nourishing healthier lifestyles. We believe our brands can make positive contributions toward improving all aspects of wellbeing and we are committed to take positive action.
We are committed to supporting positive actions on dietary patterns, nutrition education, and active lifestyle programs for people, their families, and communities.
- Starting with the Kellogg family - Total Health1 - We understand that the workplace is an excellent point of intervention to contribute to improved health outcomes for people. Kellogg Company’s My Total Health1, our global employee wellbeing framework, launched in 2019, addresses physical, financial, social and emotional wellbeing to support our employee’s personal goals including healthy foods at work and nutrition education.2 Our company locations now use the My Total Health framework to guide how we communicate and engage with employees in support of their wellbeing. Our commitment is to support our employees to become financially sound, emotionally secure, physically well and socially connected.
- Supporting Parents - We are committed to the wellbeing of our working parents. We offer competitive parental leaves across the world, have reserved locations2 for mothers to breastfeed upon returning to work and allow allocated breaks for this purpose. We are always open to working with our employees to agree to flexible working arrangements to meet the needs of their lives and families, such as taking children to appointments, school drop-off and pickup and more. Additionally, we have introduced unique initiatives to support the needs of our diverse locations, including a dedicated parental coaching platform, employee resource groups for working parents to establish community, programs to help find child care in many countries, milk delivery service for mothers traveling on business to ensure they can ship their breast milk back home safely1, and business travel policies that enable parents to take a family member and baby under two on a business trip to ensure child care.
- Best practice through partnerships - At Kellogg, we leverage our corporate partnerships with global leaders like the Consumer Goods Forum (CGF) and the Global Alliance for Improved Nutrition (GAIN) to help realize our ambition to support employees and adopt workforce nutrition programs. Kellogg is a member of the Workforce Nutrition Alliance (WNA). As part of its membership and participation in this initiative, we will expand our workforce nutrition programs as part of this initiative by 2025. Through our membership, we will also support a collaborative effort to build a food system that promotes healthy diets and supports employee wellbeing.
School Meals and Smart Snack Standards
In the U.S., we are proud to serve schools with foods that deliver on the USDA school breakfast and lunch program, as well as Smart Snacks standards. To date, 100% of our core K-12 foods meet the criteria and are whole grain-rich as appropriate.
We actively seek to place our smart snack foods in other sectors outside of schools. In 2021, 16% of our K-12 Smart Snack portfolio was sold in other sectors of Away From Home channels.
We have prioritized innovating foods that meet both USDA School lunch requirements and Smart Snacks standards. We have focused on reducing sodium per the school meal targets within Eggo®, MorningStar Farms® and Pop-Tart® brands. We have successfully delivered against the Target One requirements and, to date, 97% of our core K-12 portfolio is competitively positioned to meet Target 2 sodium guidelines, with brands such as Eggo® and Pop-Tart® positioned to meet final sodium target guidelines.
Any of our foods that deliver against Smart Snacks standards are also sold outside of schools in channels such as vending and retail, for example.
In almost all food cultures, people eat foods outside of traditional meals such as breakfast, lunch and dinner, examples include the “goûter” (after school snack in France) or the “almuerzo” (midmorning occasion in Mexico). At Kellogg, we recognize that people have different motivations for snacking and the spectrum of what constitutes a snack, when, where, how, why, by and with whom snacking takes place, is exceptionally diverse.
We believe that snacking can play a variety of roles in the diet, providing nourishment through a nutrient boost or access to a culturally relevant food format. Equally, snacking can play an important role in emotional wellbeing, bringing people together over food or enjoyed individually in a moment of happiness. We are committed to:
- Transparency – Our intent at all times is to build trust through clear fact-based information. We are committed to provide nutrition information in line with national regulations and guidance. For snacking, we understand the importance of clear portion size information and are committed to including it on packaging.
- Portion sizes - Portion-controlled options can help to make our quality and great-tasting foods more affordable and accessible while also helping people to manage their calories. We are aware that we must balance our growth in portion-control foods with our commitment to reducing waste and plastic packaging. We continue to invest in optimizing and reducing packaging.
- Innovation - We are inspired by grain and plant-based snacking and are constantly exploring new ways to deliver grains in tasty, nourishing and relevant ways to people. We see the potential of snacking to play a role in closing the gap between advised and actual nutrient intakes by boosting nutrients in convenient, accessible and locally relevant ways.
Physical Activity and Wellbeing Programs
Kellogg believes in the power of collective action and science-based interventions to have an impact on the health and sustainability challenges facing us. We support healthy eating, nutrition education, and active lifestyle programs for people and communities that have a real and measurable impact on their health and wellbeing.
We are committed to continuing to develop, participate in and financially support a wide variety of physical activity and wellbeing programs leveraging the power of our brands. We will do so by partnering with a variety of agencies, sports bodies and culinary experts to develop programs as a means of encouraging people to lead healthier lifestyles. We will ensure that the programs we support include dietary advice in line with national dietary guideliens wherever our foods are sold.